Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Cell Phone Cases


I was discussing, with my girls, what kind of Art covers to make this year. It seems I'm a 'dinosaur' when it comes to writing checks, so those weren't the 'obvious' choices this year. But, I couldn't figure out what I thought I'd have the skills to do, even though I really wanted to offer some kind of art cover...and I wanted something new.


So then, my cell phone rang and while I was grabbing it out of my pocket, I accidentally hung up on the caller. It became apparent that I, at least, needed a cell phone case. So I made myself a cell phone case and started using it.
I can't hear my phone when I'm in another room, so it was the perfect solution for me and I LOVE it! I haven't hung up on a single caller since I started using my case.


Whether or not to make them for the shop was another matter entirely. See...I'm not the best 'seamstress' in the world. Most of the time I can't seem to sew a straight line. I thought a new sewing machine might help...it didn't.
So, I did the best job I could do and with a little paint here and there, I think I hid most of my janky sewing pretty well. The biggest point is...the cell phone cases seem to be really durable and not too badly made.


I started with primed canvas...same as the checkbook and journal covers of last year. Then, I lined them with a soft fleece lining, to help protect the phone. I added a loop to these cases (though I may leave them off some future ones, I'm not sure yet.)
A little painting is then added and finally they are varnished twice with a gloss varnish, to protect the painting and the case.


They have a small painting on both sides of the case...which makes them unique 'One of a Kind' "designer" cell phone covers. I did design them, after all.

5 comments:

Kelly Jeanette Swift said...

I love them. Must look at your shop later. Love the Red Queen.

CMZ Art/ Rustic Goth said...

Thank you Kelly....just an FYI...The Red Queen is the 'back side' of 'Alice'.. the first pic shown.

All of my cases will have a little painting on each side...the 'Birds' are also just one case..with separate painting on each side.

CMZ Art/ Rustic Goth said...

Kelly...BTW...I was going to leave a comment on your very cute 'Mutt and Jeff' ghost hunter story on your blog...but couldn't find a place to 'add a comment'.

Himashu shou said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
amber myrtle said...

WoW! Cute.=D